Seeking Safety for Adolescents was originally designed for adults. It is a present-focused, coping skills therapy to help people attain safety from trauma and/or substance abuse. The treatment may be conducted in individual or group format for adolescents in various settings.
Key principles are:
1. Safety as the overarching goal (helping clients attain safety in their relationships, thinking, behavior, and emotions)
2. Integrated treatment (working on both PTSD and substance abuse at the same time)
3. A focus on ideals to counteract the loss of ideals in both PTSD and substance abuse
4. Four content areas (cognitive, behavioral, interpersonal, and case management
5. And attention to clinician processes (helping clinicians work on counter transference, self-care, and other issues).